The Jessup & Moore Paper Company

 
     
   
  The Augustine Mill, on the Brandywine, Wilmington, DE. (before 1874?).

The buildings had previously housed a snuff mill and a flour mill before Augustus E. Jessup and his son-in-law Bloomfield H. Moore purchased the property in 1845. The partners turned the mill, known as the Augustine Mill after Augustus Jessup, to the production of fine papers used in the printing of maps and lithographs. By the end of the 1880s, the plant employed one hundred workers and produced 23,000 pounds of paper daily. It was one of the first industrial plants in Wilmington to have electric lights. (From "Industry and Brandywine Park" by Susan Mulchahey Chase).

 
     
   
  The Augustine Mill, after the extension of the building..  
     
   
  Rockland Paper Mills, near Wilmington, DE.  
     
   
  Rockland Paper Mills.  
     
   
  Jessup & Moore Pulp Works, Wilmington, DE.  
     
   
  Chester Mills, East Fallowfield Township, Chester County, PA. (1880). Map Collection, Free Library of Philadelphia.  
     
   
  Delaware Pulp Mills, Mill Creek, SW corner, Christina River, DE. (1880). Map Collection, Free Library of Philadelphia.  
     
   
  Manayunk Wood Pulp Mill, Manayunk Canal, Schuylkill River, Philadelphia, PA. (1874). Map Collection, Free Library of Philadelphia.

 

 
     
     
     
     
     
     
     
 

 

 
 

2009 Sten Holtermann        Last updated: 2009-03-12 10:09

 
Back to Index page